Second Name Pshenichny
First Name Cyril
Birth Date 20 January, 1973
Current Positions and Present Addresses
Project Leader, Geognosis Project, Information Science and Semantic Technologies Lab, ITMO University (ITMO University), Kronverksky Prospect, 49, St. Petersburg 197101 Russian Federation
Lecturer, Department of Design and Security of Computer-Based Systems, ITMO University, Kronverksky Prospect, 49, St. Petersburg 197101 Russian Federation
Lecturer, Logic, Faculty of Clinical Psychology, St. Petersburg State Pediatric Medical Academy, Kantemirovskaya Ulitsa, 16, St. Petersburg 194100 Russian Federation
email address firstname.lastname@example.org,
Phones +7 812 2328602 (ITMO), +7 921 3175686 (cellular)
Languages Russian (native), English (fluent), Spanish (reading and conversation)
2000-2002 Basic course of Spanish, Faculty of Philology, St. Petersburg State University; certificate received in April, 2002
1995-1998 PhD course at Petrography Dept., Faculty of Geology, St. Petersburg State University; PhD dissertation defended in December, 1998
1998 Certificate of European Community Advanced Study Course on “Volcanic Hazard Assessment, Monitoring and Risk Mitigation” held in S. Miguel Island, Azores, by the University of Azores, Portugal
1990-1995 Study at Faculty of Geography and Geoecology, St. Petersburg State University. Master’s Degree dissertation defended in May, 1995; specialization: Geography, Ecology and Geomorphology.
1990-1999 Additional courses of traditional and mathematical logic at Logic Department, Faculty of Philosophy, St. Petersburg State University
1992-1993 Selected courses of algebra and analysis at Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, St. Petersburg State University
1991 Course of American English, Faculty of Philology, St. Petersburg State University
Employment in Geoscience
April 2012 – present day Geognosis Project, ITMO University, Kronverksky Prospect, 49, St. Petersburg 197101 Russian Federation, project leader
2011-April 2012 Geognosis Project, Masters’ Corporative Faculty, ITMO University, Birzhevaya Liniya, 14-16, St. Petersburg, Russia, lecturer
2005-2011 Geological Mapping Division, VNII Okeangeologia, senior researcher
2000-2004 Faculty of Geology, St. Petersburg State University, lecturer
1998-2000 Levinson-Lessing Earthcrust Institute (NII ZK), St. Petersburg State University, junior researcher
1995 Scientific-Research Institute of Exploration Geophysics “VIRG-Rudgeofizika”, Russian Ministry of Natural Resources, St. Petersburg, interpreter
1994 Institute of Volcanic Geology and Geochemistry (IVGG), Far Eastern Division, Russian Academy of Sciences, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, field assistant and technician
1993 Scientific-Research Institute of Remote Sensing for Geology (VNIIKAM), Russian Ministry of Natural Resources, St. Petersburg, field assistant
2000-present day Logic (lectures and seminars for first-year students of all specialties), Faculty of Medical Psychology, St. Petersburg State Pediatric Medical Academy
2013-present day Technologies of artificial intelligence and knowledge representation (lectures and seminars for Master’s students), Department of Design and Security of Computer-Based Systems, ITMO University
2012-2013 Business and scientific English (seminars for fourth-year students), ITMO University
2011-2013 Geological aspects of waste disposal; Geological investigations at construction (lectures for professionals in environment protection, technology and productions), Integral Co.
2012-2013 Mathematical logic (lectures and seminars for third-year students), Department of Design and Security of Computer-Based Systems, ITMO University
2003-2005 Information Technologies of Geologic Safety, Faculty of Geology, St. Petersburg State University
1998-2001 Optical Petrography (training course for the third-year students of all specialties), Faculty of Geology, St. Petersburg State University
1999-2001 Volcanology (lectures and seminars for four-year students specialized in petrology and volcanology), Faculty of Geology, St. Petersburg State University
2000-2003 Field Course in General Geology (for first-year students of Faculty of Geography and Geoecology of all specialties), Faculty of Geology, St. Petersburg State University
October 2002 University of Leeds, UK
October 2004, February 2008 University of Udine, Italy
October 2004 Centro per la Modellistica Fisica e Pericolosita’ dei Processi Vulcanici, Pisa, Italy
July 2007 Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione di Catania, Italy
February 2008 Seminar on the theory and volcanologic applicatioins of the event bush method, University of Udine, Italy
November 2011 Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, Madrid, Spain
January 2013 University College, Trivandrum, India
September 2013 Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen, Norway
1996 – 2004 bachelor students (in petrology and volcanology and geography/geomorphology), MsD and PhD students in petrology and volcanology, St. Petersburg State University
2011 MsD students in project management, ITMO University
2012 – present day MsD students in information technologies, semantic, information and computer science, ITMO University.
Courses and workshops:
Since 2012 Methods and Approaches of Dynamic Knowledge Representation (in Russian; developed and taught together with D.I. Mouromtsev), 30-hour-long course of lectures and trainings; ITMO University (ITMO)
1. International Framework
Reasoning Research in the Geosciences, international working group (scientists from UK, Hungary, Canada, South Africa, Russia) and mailing list (about 180 subscribers), moderator, http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/geo-reasoning.html
2. Recent Relevant Publications in English (selected)
Pshenichny, C.A., and Mouromtsev, D.I., 2015. Grammar of Dynamic Knowledge for Collaborative Knowledge Engineering and Representation. In: Diviacco, P., Fox, P., Pshenichny, C., Leadbetter, A. (Eds): Collaborative Knowledge in Scientific Research Networks, IGI Global, pp 323-354 (chapter 16).
Diviacco, P., Pshenichny, C., Carniel, R., Khrabrykh, Z., Shterkhun, V., Mouromtsev, D., Guzmán, S., and Pascolo, P., 2014. Organization of a geophysical information space by using an event-bush-based collaborative tool. Earth Science Informatics, DOI 10.1007/s12145-014-0182-2.
Pshenichny, C.A., 2014. Knowledge engineering in volcanology: Practical claims and general approach. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Volume 286, pp 78–92; DOI: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2014.07.012.
Mouromtsev, D.I., Pshenichny, C.A., and Yakovlev, A.V., 2014, Semantic and structural delineation of market scenarios by the event bush method, Decision Support Systems and Electronic Commerce, volume 57, pp. 34-41; doi 10.1016/j.dss.2013.07.008.
Pshenichny, C.A. and Mouromtsev, D.I., 2013, Representation of the Event Bush Approach in Terms of Directed Hypergraphs. H.D. Pfeiffer et al. (Eds.): ICCS 2013, LNAI 7735, pp. 287–298, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
Pshenichny, C.A., and Kanzheleva, O.M., 2011, Theoretical Foundations of the Event Bush. Societal Challenges and Geoinformatics, Sinha, K, Gundersen, L., Jackson, J., and Arctur, D. (Eds.), Geological Society of America Special Paper 482, pp. 139-165.
Pshenichny, C.A., Nikolenko, S.I., Carniel, R., Vaganov, P.A., Khrabrykh, Z.V.., Moukhachov, V.P., Akimova-Shterkhun, V.L., and Rezyapkin, A.A. The Event Bush as a Semantic-based Numerical Approach to Natural Hazard Assessment (Exemplified by Volcanology), 2009. Computers and Geosciences; Volume 35, Issue 5, May 2009, Pages 1017-1034 (Special issue «Modelling and Simulation of Dangerous Phenomena for Hazard Mapping»); doi 10.1016/j.cageo.2008.01.009.
Behncke and Pshenichny, 2009, Modeling unusual eruptive behavior of Mt. Etna, Italy, by means of event bush. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, v. 185, pp 157-171.
Petrology and Eruptive History of Ignimbrites of the Eastern Part of Badjal Volcanic Zone, Khabarovsk Area, Russia (in Russian)
Landforms and Geology of the Pauzhetka Volcanotectonic Structure, Southern Kamchatka, Russia (in Russian)
Totally more than 70 publications in English and Russian; full list can be provided if required
Computers and Geosciences, 2003
Geological Prior Information, Curtis, A. and Wood, R. (Eds), Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 2004
Geoinformatics, A.K.Sinha (editor) Geological Society of America Special Paper, 2004.
Elsevier’s Developments in Volcanology series (Marti, J., and Ghottsmann, J., editors), 2006
Proceedings, iEMSs — International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (Sanchez-Marre, Bejar, J., Comas, J., Rizzoli, A., and Guariso, G., Eds.), 2008
Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica ed Applicata, Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Trieste, Italia, Slejko, D., Ed., 2011.
Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica ed Applicata, Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Trieste, Italia, Slejko, D., Ed., 2012.
Journal of Scientific Research and Results, 2013
Collaborative Knowledge in Research Networks, 2014
Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, 2014, 2015
Knowledge-Based Systems, 2015
4. Editorial and Related Work
1999 Theophrastus Publications, St. Petersburg – Athens, executive editor for: Capricious Earth: Models and Modeling of Geologic Processes and Objects: Eds. V.A. Glebovitsky, V.N. Dech and C.A. Pshenichny; 198 p.; author of the webpage http://www.spbu.ru/Science/Nii/NiiZK/theophrastus.htm
Since 2001 Concept and maintenance of the website www.volcanology.ru
Since 2003 Concept and maintenance of the website http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/geo-reasoning.html (together with S. Henley)
Since 2009 Concept and maintenance of the website http://eventbush.com
2012 Rules of Reporting Mineral Resources and Reserves at International Stock Exchanges of London and Toronto (in Russian), Eds. Sobolev, A.O., Pertel, D., and Pshenichny, C.A., NAEN (Russian National Association for Subsoil Use Auditing) – TOMS Engineering Group, St. Petersburg – Moscow, 2012; 300 p.
2013 MSEPS 2013 — Modeling States, Events, Processes and Scenarios, Eds. D. Mouromtsev, C. Pchenichniy, and D. Ignatov; workshop proceedings, January 12, 2013, Mumbai, India; 103 p. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, v. 1223. ISSN 1613-0073. http://iccs2013.hbcse.tifr.res.in/workshops/copy2_of_text.pdf.
2015 Diviacco, P., Fox, P., Pshenichny, C., Leadbetter, A. (Eds): Collaborative Knowledge in Scientific Research Networks, IGI Global, 2015; 461 p. ISBN 978-1-4666-6567-5 (hardcover) — ISBN 978-1-4666-6568-2 (ebook) — ISBN 978-1-4666-6570-5 (print & perpetual access).
5. Scientific Meetings
Poster presentations at:
- IAVCEI General Assembly 1997, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico;
- a number of national/local conferences in Russia in 1995-2004;
- IUGG General Assembly 2007, Perugia, Italy,
- AGU Fall Session 2008, San Francisco, USA,
- EGU 2010, April 2010, Vienna, Austria,
- IAMG Annual Meeting, September 2011, Salzburg,
- Arctic Frontiers, Tromso, January 2012
Oral presentations at:
- Volcano Seismology Working Group of European Seismological Commission annual seminars, 2001, Tenerife,
- Volcano Seismology Working Group of European Seismological Commission annual seminars, 2002, Montserrat.
- Environmental Catastrophes and Recovery in the Holocene, Brunel University, London
- Geological Prior Information, joint Royal Astronomical Society – Geological Society of London meeting, May 2003, London
- IAMG Annual Meeting, September 2003, Portsmouth, UK (two presentations)
- EGU 2005, April 2005, Vienna
- EGU 2007, April 2007, Vienna (two presentations)
- IEMSS 2008 Barcelona, Spain (two presentations)
- IAMG Annual Meeting, September 2011, Salzburg (two presentations)
- Arctic Frontiers, Tromso, January 2012
- MIAVITA 2012, International Scientific Conference on Integrated Approaches for Volcanic Risk Management, September 2012, Stuttgart
- ICCS Annual Meeting 2013, Mumbai, India (three presentations)
Participation in organizing committees:
- Problems of Genesis of Magmatic and Metamorphic Rocks, 1998, St. Petersburg, Russia;
- Genesis of Volcanic and Volcano-Sedimentary Ore Deposits (sponsored by IAGOD and Russian Academy of Sciences), 1999, St. Petersburg, Russia;
- IAMG Annual Meeting 2003, Portsmouth, UK;
- Mathematical Geology and Knowledge Engineering, 2012, ITMO University, St. Petersburg, Russia;
- Mathematical Geology and Knowledge Engineering – Vistelius Session, 2015, ITMO University, St. Petersburg, Russia.
Convening the workshops:
- Reasoning Research in the Geosciences, IAMG Annual Meeting 2003, Portsmouth, UK,
- Mathematical Geology and Knowledge Engineering, 2012, ITMO University, St. Petersburg, Russia;
- Modeling States, Events, Processes and Scenarios, ICCS Annual Meeting 2013, Mumbai, India.
6. Field Work
Kuril Lake Caldera, Ilyinsky and Diky Greben’ Volcanoes, Southern Kamchatka, 1994
Koryaksky Volcano, Central Kamchatka, 1994,
Kola Peninsula and Northern Karelia, North-Western Russia, 1996
Karadag Jurassic Volcanic Center, Ukraine, 1997
Azores Islands (field workshop), 1998
Santorini Island, Mediterranean, 1999
Canary Islands (field workshop), 2001
Montserrat Island, Caribbean (field workshop), 2002
Elbrus Volcano, Caucasus, 2003
Etna, Sicily, 2004, 2007, 2010
Chukchi Sea, 2006
Svir’ River Area (Northwest of Russia), 2008
Taman’ Peninsula, 2008
Stromboli Volcano (climbing), Aeolian Islands, Mediterranean 2011
Karelian Isthmus (Northwest of Russia), 2012-2015
Gulf of Mannar coast, Tamil Nadu State, India, 2013
Changbaishan Volcano, China (border with North Korea), 2014
7. Grants and Current Projects
1997 Financial support from the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior (IAVCEI) for participation in the IAVCEI General Assembly in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, January 1997
2001 Grant for Young Researchers from the Ministry of Higher Education of Russian Federation and St. Petersburg City Mayor House; project “The logical model of eruptive history of stratovolcanoes”
2002 Grant for Young PhD Degree Holders from the Ministry of Higher Education of Russian Federation; project “Conceptual uncertainty in the natural hazard assessment and means of its estimation and decrease”
2002 Travel grant from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research for participation in the “Environmental Catastrophes and Recovery in the Holocene” conference, Brunel University, West London, August–September 2002
2002 Financial support from the organizing committee of the “Environmental Catastrophes and Recovery in the Holocene” conference, Brunel University, West London
2003 Grant for Young PhD Degree Holders from St. Petersburg City Mayor House; project “Elaboration of principles of design of expert systems for ecological decision-making in St. Petersburg”
2004 Grant for Young Researchers from the “Integracia” program of Ministry of Higher Education of Russian Federation for one-month training at the University of Udine, Italy
2005 Financial support and travel grant from the organizing committee of European Geophysical Union Congress in Vienna, Austria (EGU2005), April 24-29
2005-2007 “Development of quantitative tools to evaluate volcanic hazard”, Italian-German-Swiss-British-Russian project V4 of Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica i Vulcanologia, Italy; co-ordinator: Dr. Susanna Falsaperla (INGV, Catania)
2007-2008 Human Potential Foundation (“Nauchny potentsial”) grant for development of information systems for geosciences
2006-2008 NATO-Russia collaborative linkage grant 982484
2008 Financial support from the organizing committee of International Congress of Environmental Modeling and Software (iEMSS), Barcelona, Spain, July 7-11
2008 Grant of St. Petersburg City Government; project cluster Information Technologies; project coordinator
2009 Grant of St. Petersburg City Government; project cluster Information Technologies; project coordinator
2009-2011 CRODINAS: Eurocommission FP7 Marie Curie Staff Exchange scheme: Italian – Spanish – Russian research consortium; grant no. 230826
2010 Travel grant of Russian Foundation for Basic Research for participation in International Symposium on Design and Research in Artificial and Natural Sciences (DRANS 2010), Orlando, Florida, USA July 2010
2013 Travel grant from ICCS 2013 Organizing Committee for participation in the 20th International Conference on Conceptual Structures and convening the MSEPS 2013 workshop in Mumbai, India, January 2013
2014-1025 Research activities under the “5 to 100” research funding program of the Government of Russian Federation.
Other Related Activities
- Member of IAVCEI (International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of Earth’s Interior); commissions on Granites and Explosive Volcanism
- Member of Volcano Seismology Working Group of European Seismological Commission
- Narrator of the Russian version of the film «Montserrat’s Andesite Volcano» by David Lea, Stephen Sparks and Living Letters Productions, 1998 (work in progress)
- Author of the TV narration about the volcanic hazard in the Caucasus (shot for Russian “Kultura” network), 2003, and activity on Etna, 2004 (work in progress)
- Administrator of educational website on volcanology in Russian www.volcanology.ru since December, 2001
- Freelance writer on economic geology (oil and gas, free stone), economic and social geography, physical geography, travels, tourism, related historical and cultural items in English (for St. Petersburg Times) and Russian (for a number of journals in St. Petersburg and Moscow) in 1993-1999
- Interpreter at a number of international scientific congresses and meetings in St. Petersburg in 1995-2002
- Simultaneous interpreter at the “Inner Core 2005” international conference, United Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, November 2005
- Private consultant on economic and social geography and infrastructure of different regions of the world
- Member of Russian Chemical Society, Assistant Head of Geochemistry Section of St. Petersburg Division
- Member of All-Russian Union of Young Scientists
- Translator in MAIK-Interperiodika Publishing House, Moscow
- Member of the Russian Union of Young Scientists; awarded a special price from the union in 2007 and a medal “For Dedication to Science” in 2008
- Listed in Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering’ 2007 and 2008
- Awarded a special price from Commission on Development of Youth Science, St. Petersburg Regional Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2008
- Zvorykin Project participant, 2009